Apples are great, but apple ice cream is epic. It’s a simple recipe that takes healthy fruit and transforms it into a (not quite so healthy) dessert.
The combination of creamy ice cream base with fresh apple is well worth the effort. Check out loads more ice cream recipes here.
- 6 egg yolks
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 cups thickened cream
- 1 cup full cream milk
- 1 cup cooked apple, cored and pureed
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- Whisk yolks and sugar until pale. Set aside.
- Heat cream and milk in a saucepan on medium heat until simmering.
- Remove from heat and, while whisking, slowly pour 1 cup of the milk into the yolks.
- Pour yolks back into the saucepan of milk and continue heating on a medium heat until the custard base starts to thicken. Don’t let it boil. Remove from heat and whisk in apple and cinnamon.
- Add to a container and cool in fridge for at least 3 hours.
- Add to ice cream maker and churn as per manufacturers instructions.
- Scoop into an airtight container and freeze for at least 2 hours until hardened.
If you want to create a really green ice cream add a few drops of green food colouring.