Mango ice cream is the ultimate summer treat. If you love a Weis Bar, this is the recipe for you! Make a summery frozen dessert that combines sweet fresh mango with a not-too-sweet ice cream.
Adding pureed mangoes to the ice cream mixture is quick and easy, but fine icy particles will result. For a smoother texture and fruitier punch, gently simmer the mango puree until it reduces. It’s an extra step, but you’ll get a better final dessert without any icy bits of fruit.
If you’ve got more mangoes than you know what to do with, you may also want to check out this mango sorbet recipe.
Commonly asked questions
How can I save money making mango ice cream?
Mango ice cream is best made towards the end of summer when there’s an oversupply of fruit, and you can pick up a whole tray of softening fruit. If you make this recipe any other time, frozen mango is an excellent alternative. It’s cheaper, and there’s less preparation.
How do I make my ice cream look more colourful?
To give mango ice cream a more vibrant shade, add a few drops of yellow food colouring.
Is it worth the effort to make mango ice cream?
Homemade mango ice cream is one of the best desserts you can make; the mix of fresh, sweet mangoes and dairy is unbeatable. Finding tubs of mango ice cream in Aussie supermarkets is almost impossible. The closest option in the major supermarkets is the Weis Mango Bar.
What kind of mango should I use?
Calypso, Kensington Pride, Honey Gold, and Pearl mangoes are sweet, tangy, and packed with flavour. These ripe, softened fruits are delicious added to ice cream.
Mango Ice Cream Recipe
- 2½ cups fresh mango
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 cups thickened cream
- 1 cup full cream milk
- Add mango to a blender and process until smooth.
- Transfer to a non-stick pan on medium low heat. Cook for roughly 10 minutes, stirring frequently until the fruit reduces by half.
- Refrigerate the puree for two hours or until completely cool.
- Add sugar, cream, milk, and mango to a large bowl and whisk until well combined.
- Pour the mixture into an ice cream maker and churn as per manufacturer's instructions.
- Once the ice cream is ready, add it to an airtight container and freeze for at least two hours until hardened.