Charcoal ice cream or black ice cream has been popping up in ice cream shops all over Australia (and the U.S.). This black ice cream recipe lets you make a batch at home. It’s a simple recipe that makes mouth-watering, creamy ice cream.
Note: Activated charcoal is safe to eat. It’s made from coconut shell that’s heated to high temperatures to create a char.
- 4 egg yolks
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 cups cream
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup activated charcoal
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Whisk egg yolks and sugar until pale in colour
- Heat cream and milk in a saucepan over a medium-high heat until simmering.
- While whisking as fast as possible, pour 1 cup of heated milk slowly into the egg yolks until combined.
- Pour the yolks back into the saucepan of heated milk. Continue heating until the liquid thickens into a custard base. It should coat the back of a spoon.
- Remove the custard from the heat and whisk in the charcoal and vanilla.
- Pour through a strainer into an airtight container and chill over night or for at least a few hours.
- Add to ice cream machine and churn as per manufacturer’s instructions. Once churning is complete, scoop into a container and freezer until hardened.