The refreshing mojito just got taken to a new level. This mojito ice cream is deliciously creamy with the taste of a beach paradise.
This mojito cocktail is simple, which is why it works so well as ice cream. Rum, mint, and lime: they’re all perfect for frozen desserts. The alcohol creates a creamier textured ice cream. Lime and mint provide plenty of taste without overpowering the delicious, fresh dairy flavour.
- 2/3 cup lime juice
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup rum
- 2 cups thickened cream
- 1 cup full cream milk
- 3 egg yolks
- zest of a lime
- 1/4 cup fresh mint leaves chopped very fine
- Add lime, sugar, and rum to a saucepan and bring to boil. Simmer for 15 minutes until the liquid reaches a syrupy consistency. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Add cream and milk to a large saucepan on medium heat.
- Meanwhile, whisk egg yolks and lime zest until yolks are pale.
- As the milk starts to simmer, remove from heat and pour half a cup of the liquid into the yolks, all the while whisking.
- Pour the yolks back into the milk and whisk until combined.
- Continue stirring the milk on a medium heat until it thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Remove from heat and stir in the lime syrup.
- Add chopped mint then add to the fridge and allow to cool for at least 2 hours. If you leave it overnight it will allow the mint flavour to infuse better.
- Strain the custard base then add to your ice cream machine and churn as per the instructions. Scoop into an airtight container and freeze for at least 2 hours until hardened.