Lavender is a common edible herb that tastes delicious in baked foods. It also works well as a flavour base and makes superb lavender ice cream.
This herb can easily overpower food. I used one tablespoon and allowed it to infuse overnight, but you may prefer less.
Quick tip: add honey or pieces of pear towards the end of churning the ice cream.
Lavender Ice Cream Recipe
- 4 egg yolks
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup full cream milk
- 1 cup thickened cream
- 1 Tbsp dried lavender
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Whisk eggs and sugar in a medium sized bowl until well combined and pale. Set aside.
- Heat milk and cream in a large saucepan until simmering then remove from heat.
- Scoop out a cup of the milk and slowly pour into the yolks, all the while whisking.
- Pour yolks, vanilla and lavender into the saucepan of milk and resume heating on a medium heat. Heat until the mixture thickens and coats the back of a spoon. Don't allow the milk to boil as the egg yolks will scramble.
- Place mixture in an airtight container and allow to cool completely. Preferable leave to cool overnight so as to infuse more lavender flavour into your ice cream.
- Strain ice cream base and then churn in your ice cream machine. Scoop ice cream into an airtight container and allow to harden in the freezer for 2-3 hours.