This is a lemon ice cream recipe that’s a tasty mix of tangy lemon and sweet creamy ice cream. Grab yourself some lemons and get started now!
Use fresh lemons for a better-tasting ice cream than bottled juice. Get down to your local grocer and pick up a bag, or visit your neighbours to get them for free.
Do you prefer chunky or smooth?
It’s not just a question reserved for peanut butter.
When you make this ice cream you have the option to leave the lemon zest in the ice cream during churning for a bit of texture.
If you prefer it smooth, use a strainer and remove it prior to churning.
Don’t have an ice cream machine?
That’s fine. Instead of pouring the ice cream base into the machine, add it straight to the freezer in an airtight container.
As the dessert starts to harden, remove from the freezer and whisk until smooth, then continue freezing until hard.
Are you currently in the heat of summer? Maybe you’d prefer a really cool sorbet? Try this lemon sorbet recipe which is made for hot weather.
Lemon Ice Cream Recipe
- 3 lemons zested
- 3 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/3 cup lemon cordial
- 4 egg yolks
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 cups full cream milk
- 1 cup thickened cream
- Combine lemon zest, lemon juice and cordial in a small bowl and set aside.
- Whisk egg yolks and sugar in a small bowl until pale then set aside
- Add milk and cream to a medium saucepan and heat on high until simmering then remove from heat.
- Scoop out around a cup of milk from the saucepan and slowly pour into the yolks – all the while whisking. Once combined, pour yolks into the saucepan of milk and continue heating on a low heat until it thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Pour into an airtight container and stir in lemon mixture. Cool in refrigerator for at least 2 hours until completely cooled.
- Prior to churning, pour milk mixture through a strainer if you don't like bits of lemon in your ice cream. Churn ice cream as per ice cream maker manufacturer's instructions.