Learn the secret to making creamy chocolate ice cream without eggs. The texture is less dense than recipes that use yolks, but it’s still super-creamy.
To get more dessert ideas, check out this collection of ice cream recipes.
Want a chocolate ice cream recipe that’s got fewer calories?
You have a couple of options:
- Reduce or remove the chocolate from the recipe altogether. The cocoa will still provide a nice chocolate flavour without the extra calories.
- For a plant-based recipe option, check out this vegan chocolate ice cream that’s free from dairy.
Can I make ice cream without an ice cream maker?
If you don’t have an ice cream maker, you can hand churn this chocolate ice cream. Follow these simple steps:
- Pour the base into a freezer-safe container and cover.
- After 30 minutes, as the mixture begins to freeze, vigorously mix it with a hand mixer, whisk, or spatula.
- Stir every half hour until fully frozen, roughly three hours.
How long does homemade ice cream last?
This ice cream stays fresh in an airtight container in the freezer. However, it will become hard and icy the longer it is stored. I try to eat homemade ice cream within one week of making it.
Ultimate Chocolate Ice Cream Recipe
- 2 cups thickened cream
- 1 cup full cream milk
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- ¼ cup Dutch cocoa good quality
- 200 gm dark chocolate broken into small pieces
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Add cream, milk, sugar, salt, and cocoa to a saucepan and whisk while heating on medium high.
- When the milk is simmering, reduce heat to low and add chocolate. Gently stir until chocolate has melted, remove from heat, and add vanilla.
- Pour the milk mixture into an airtight container and refrigerate for at least three hours or overnight.
- Freeze ice cream in an ice cream machine as per the manufacturer's instructions.
- Scoop the churned dessert into a container and freeze for at least three hours or until hardened.
- Choose the best quality Dutch cocoa and dark chocolate you can find. This recipe has few ingredients, so your dessert will taste deliciously good if you select well.
- Add a dash of 40% vodka when you’re churning the ice cream to reduce the freezing point of your base. This allows the dessert to freeze faster and results in creamier ice cream.
- Turn your freezer onto the coldest setting before churning. Once you add the churned ice cream to the freezer, it will harden much quicker and improve the texture.
- Chocolate chips, cookie dough, brownie, or fudge sauce are all delicious add-ins for chocolate ice cream.