This is a simple, must-try avocado ice cream recipe. Whether you have an ice cream machine or not, it doesn’t matter. All you need is a few simple ingredients and a freezer.
Why do avocados make excellent ice cream?
Avocados contain 73g of water per 100g which is low compared to many other fruits like apple (87g), peach (92g) and strawberries (92g). Why does this even matter? High water content in fruit makes icy ice cream that lacks creamy texture.
The low water content in avocado, when paired with dairy, makes for deliciously creamy ice cream.
What you need
You’ll need milk, cream, sugar, avocados, salt, and mint. I added the mint for extra flavour, but leave it out if you want a pure avocado ice cream.
Also, make sure to use a good quality salt, not table salt.
How to make avocado ice cream
Assemble the required ingredients to make this avocado ice cream recipe.
Blend all the ingredients except the cream using an immersion blender or any other type of blender you have at your disposal. At this point, you can strain the liquid if you don’t like tiny bits of mint in your ice cream.
Add the cream and whisk until combined. Now refrigerate it for 3 hours. This ice cream base is delicious and you may be tempted to drink a sneaky glass before churning the rest. It’s like a creamy mint thick shake.
Once cooled, churn in an ice cream machine then freeze for another couple of hours until hardened. If you don’t have an ice cream machine, add the ice cream base to the freezer once it’s made. After an hour, take it out and whisk until smooth, then continue freezing.
Here is the final avocado ice cream.
Scoop into a bowl and top with chocolate sauce then garnish with mint. There you have it, the perfect frozen dessert.
Avocado Ice Cream Recipe
- 2 medium avocados
- 1 1/2 cups full cream milk
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup fresh mint
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 cup thickened cream
- Peel the avocadoes and remove the seeds.
- Add avocado, milk, sugar, mint, and salt and blend until nicely pureed.
- Add cream and whisk until combined.
- Strain mixture to get rid of any pieces that haven't been pureed.
- Refrigerate for 2-3 hours or overnight.
- If you have an ice cream maker churn as per manufacturers instructions.
- If you don't have an ice cream machine simply add the chilled mixture to the freezer. As it starts to harden, remove from the freezer and whisk until nice and smooth. Then continue freezing until hard.