This chocolate sorbet recipe bursts with chocolate flavour. A dessert that wins on taste and is suitable for vegans and those who can’t eat dairy products. Although there’s no dairy, it’s still got an enjoyable texture.
If you want to add a natural stabiliser that provides a creamier texture, add half a cup of this Italian meringue.
Slowly add extra for an even creamier texture, but too much will cause the eggs to overpower the chocolate flavour. Too much meringue will result in another dessert called spoom.
Best ingredients for this chocolate sorbet recipe
To improve your chocolate sorbet:
- use unsweetened Dutch cocoa without any extra ingredients added.
- choose a quality dark chocolate.
How to make chocolate sorbet
Making chocolate sorbet involves heating water, sugar, salt, and cocoa in a saucepan for a few minutes. Then take the pan off the heat and add chocolate and vanilla. Refrigerate until completely cooled.
It’s tempting to pull the mixture out of the fridge early and start churning the sorbet, but this will increase the churning time. The sorbet will be icier and less tasty. If you use an ice cream machine without a built-in compressor, you could end up with a slushy rather than sorbet.
If you prefer ice cream, why not try making this vegan chocolate ice cream which also has no dairy ingredients.
Chocolate Sorbet Recipe
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup unsweetened Dutch cocoa
- 1 pinch salt
- 180 gm dark chocolate chopped
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Whisk together the water, sugar, cocoa, and salt in a large saucepan on a high heat.
- Bring mixture to a boil ensuring that you keep whisking frequently. Continue to boil (and whisk) for another 1 minute.
- Remove the sorbet base from the heat and mix in the chocolate until melted, then add vanilla.
- Add the mixture to a blender for about 20 seconds until nicely combined and smooth in consistency.
- Pour mixture into an airtight container and cool in the fridge for a few hours or overnight if you have time.
- Churn sorbet in ice cream maker as per manufacturer's instructions. Once complete, add to a container and freeze until hardened.