This cherry ice cream recipe makes an indulgent dessert that’s a delicious balance of sweet and tart.
Make this ice cream any time using jarred cherries. But if cherries are in season then the fresh option is always best. Like all desserts made with fruit, they always taste better with fresh ingredients.
How to make this recipe without an ice cream maker
Once you’ve chilled the ice cream base you can simply add it to the freezer.
After an hour, remove and beat until smooth, then return to the freezer. Continue beating the ice cream every half hour at least two more times. This reduces the size of the ice crystals and make a much creamier dessert.
If you don’t have an ice cream maker, then check out this review of the Breville Smart Scoop. It’s one of the few appliances that will get tonnes of use over the years.
- 5 egg yolks
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 cups thickened cream
- 1 cup full cream milk
- 450 gm sour Morello cherries
- Whisk egg yolks and sugar in a medium bowl until pale in colour then set aside.
- Heat milk and cream in a large saucepan until simmering then remove from heat.
- Slowly pour a cup of the milk into the yolks while whisking as quickly as possible. Then pour yolks back into the saucepan of milk.
- Continue heating mixture on a medium heat until it thickens and coats the back of a spoon then remove from heat. Do not allow to boil.
- Blitz cherries then whisk into the ice cream custard base.
- Allow ice cream base to cool in the fridge overnight or for at least 3 hours.
- Churn ice cream following the manufacturer's instructions. Then add to container and freeze for at least 3 hours.
- Serve in a dessert plate topped with seasonal berries.