One of my favourite ice cream flavours is mint chocolate chip. This recipe spices things up by adding chilli to the mix. Chilli is the perfect partner for mint. The warm and cool play a tug-o-war with your taste buds.
To make this ice cream, you can this recipe for mint ice cream recipe as a starting point. It’s a delicious creamy ice cream, not too sweet, and has a taste of fresh mint.
- 1 cup thickened cream
- 1 cup full cream milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 6 egg yolks
- 1 cup fresh mint (chopped roughly)
- 1 chilli (diced finely)
- Kosher salt to taste
- 100 grams dark chocolate (chopped finely) or chocolate chips
- Combine milk, cream and sugar in a saucepan and heat on medium-high until the liquid is simmering.
- Remove from heat and whisk the yolks in a large bowl until pale.
- Slowly add 1 cup of the hot milk to the yolks all the while whisking. Once combined, whisk back into the hot milk and continue heating until the custard base thickens. It take about 3 minutes and you’ll know it’s ready when the milk coats the back of a spoon. Don’t allow the custard base to boil.
- Remove custard base from heat and add mint, chilli and a touch of salt to taste.
- Add custard base to an airtight container and chill in fridge overnight to allow mint and chilli to infuse.
- Once chilled, strain then add to ice cream machine and churn following manufacturer’s instructions.
- As the ice cream is ready to be removed from the machine, add your chocolate chips.
- Add ice cream to an airtight container and freeze for at least 2 hours or until desired hardness has been reached.