Olive oil ice cream is a popular ingredient in Italian cooking, especially savoury dishes. This creamy ice cream incorporates the subtle taste of olive oil for a deliciously unique dessert.
What is the best olive oil for ice cream?
The only flavour in this ice cream is olive oil. Choosing the best quality extra virgin olive oil will result in better flavour.
It is best to select a light-bodied oil without any extra taste. Manufacturers sometimes produce their oils with peppery notes, but they overwhelm the dairy flavours.
I used a quarter cup of oil in this recipe but you could scale this up or down a little. If you add extra oil this will add to the fat content, increasing the oily mouth-feel of the ice cream.
Tips for better olive oil ice cream
- Use a quality kosher salt or fleur de sel for the best results.
- Take this dessert to the next level by adding balsamic vinegar.
- Add a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese as a garnish. It is surprisingly good.
Olive Oil Ice Cream
- 5 egg yolks
- 1 1/2 cups full cream milk
- 1/2 cup thickened cream
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Whisk egg yolks in a small bowl until pale then set aside.
- Heat milk, cream, sugar, and salt in a medium saucepan on a medium to high heat until simmering then remove from heat.
- Slowly pour 1 cup of the milk into the egg yolks all the while whisking at a fast pace.
- Whisk the yolks into the saucepan of milk and continue heating on a medium heat until it coats the back of a spoon. This usually takes a few minutes. Do not allow to boil.
- Pour the milk through a fine strainer into a bowl and then mix in the olive oil.
- Add to an airtight container and freeze for at least 3 hours, preferably overnight.
- Add to ice cream machine and churn as per manufacturer's instructions.
- Add to an airtight container and freeze for at least 2 hours or until you're happy with the hardness.