This vegan chocolate ice cream recipe is easy to make and perfect for those on a plant-based diet. It’s got plenty of chocolately flavor and is surprisingly creamy, considering no dairy is used.
Alternative ingredients for this Vegan Chocolate Ice Cream
- This ice cream uses brown rice syrup but you could substitute this for sugar or even honey. Use the same quantity of sugar in place of the rice syrup.
- Coconut cream can replace coconut milk if you’re in a pinch.
If you’d prefer to make a non-vegan chocolate ice cream then consider this one: world’s creamiest chocolate ice cream recipe.
Vegan Chocolate Ice Cream Recipe
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 1/4 cups full fat coconut milk
- 2/3 cup brown rice syrup
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup dark chocolate chopped
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- In a large saucepan, add the water, rice syrup, coconut milk, cocoa powder, and salt. Whisk to combine.
- Heat on a medium heat, all the while whisking, until the mixture comes to a boil. Continue to cook for about 2 minutes, ensuring that you continue to keep whisking.
- Remove from the heat and add the chocolate and vanilla. Stir until chocolate is melted.
- Strain mixture into an airtight container and chill for at least 3 hours (preferably overnight).
- Churn in your ice cream maker then scoop into a container and freeze for 2-3 hours until hardened.