Caffeine lovers rejoice! This coffee ice cream is super easy to make and delicious.
Everyone has different opinions on what a good coffee tastes like. The amount of coffee in this ice cream can be adjusted to your taste.
I used a 1/2 cup but reduce to 1/4 cup for a mild flavoured ice cream. Add 3/4 cup of coffee for a “knock your socks off” ice cream dessert.
Warning: Don’t eat this one just before bed if caffeine keeps you awake.
If you’re more of a beer fan, why not try this beer ice cream recipe that I promise you’ll enjoy.
Coffee Ice Cream
- 1 cup thickened cream
- 1 cup full cream milk
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup coffee of your choice
- 4 egg yolks
- Add cream, milk, sugar and coffee to a medium saucepan and, stirring frequently, heat until simmering. Don't allow to boil.
- Whisk eggs in a separate bowl until pale in colour.
- Slowly pour 1 cup of the heated milk mixture into the yolks all the while whisking; then pour back into the milk mixture while continuing to whisk.
- Continue heating and stirring the milk mixture on a medium heat until it thickens and can coat the back of a spoon.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool for 5 minutes then pour through a strainer. Add to an airtight container and refrigerate for at least 3 hours. Preferably overnight.
- Add ice cream base to your ice cream maker and churn following the manufacturer's instructions.
- Once churned, freeze for at least 3 hours until hardened.