Are you looking for a fun, colourful dessert perfect for kid’s parties and celebrations? Keep reading to learn how to make rainbow ice cream (aka unicorn ice cream).
Anyone can make this quick, no-churn ice cream recipe in around 10 minutes. There are similar ice cream available in supermarkets, but it’s a lot more fun to make your own. You will also avoid the extra ingredients added to retail ice cream.
How to make rainbow ice cream video
Rainbow ice cream is super easy
Here’s a quick summary of the steps to make rainbow ice cream.
- Combine the condensed milk with vanilla, then fold it into whipped cream.
- The fun part is colouring it and adding some extra sprinkles on top! Keep reading for a breakdown of these steps.
- 1 can condensed milk (395g).
- 1 tsp vanilla.
- 500ml cream.
- A few drops of food colourings of your choice (4 colours).
- extra sprinkles and candy to decorate.
Combine condensed milk and vanilla in a bowl.
Add cream to a bowl and beat until stiff peaks form.
This cream is firm and ready for the next ingredient.
Fold in the condensed milk gently.
Add equal amounts of the mixture into separate bowls and mix in a few drops of different colouring to each bowl. You can use common food colours for this ice cream available in the supermarket baking section.
This recipe uses blue, yellow, green, and pink. Mix these colours to create some unique options.
Now spoon the colours into a suitable, freezer-safe container. Add the sprinkles and cover with cling wrap, then transfer to the freezer.
The finished rainbow ice cream.
It scoops surprisingly well. Who knew no-churn ice cream could taste so good?
Could you say no to this?
Scoop the ice cream and add to cones or a bowl. Yum!
Top with your favourite sprinkles and candy.
A perfect dessert for birthdays.
If there’s any leftovers, have a bowl yourself. You’ve earned it 🙂
That’s it, now it’s your turn. I hope you enjoy making this rainbow ice cream.
Tips for better ice cream
- Chill everything in the freezer before getting started. That includes the whisk, mixing bowl, and the container for freezing the dessert.
- Gently fold the cream and condensed milk together to keep as much air in the mixture as possible. This results in a mouth-watering creamy, soft texture.
- Add more food colouring to get a brighter, vibrant ice cream.
- A loaf pan or casserole dish will both work well.
- Store the ice cream at the back of the freezer away from temperature fluctuation.
Rainbow Ice Cream Recipe
- 395 gm condensed milk 1 can
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups thickened cream
- blue, yellow, green, pink food colouring
- 1/4 cup sprinkles and candy to decorate
- Combine condensed milk and vanilla
- Whip cream until stiff peaks form
- Fold condensed milk into cream
- Spoon mixture into separate bowls then add a few drops of different food colouring to each.
- Scoop the ice cream into a container one colour at a time. Be creative and make a pattern that you like.
- Top with sprinkles and any candy you enjoy like M&Ms.
- Cover with cling wrap and freeze for three hours.
- Enjoy your ice cream in a cone or bowl.