This deliciously boozy rum ice cream recipe works a treat. With limited good-quality versions of this ice cream in supermarket freezers, it’s a must-try dessert.
Rum is especially good at making a creamy, delicious ice cream base. Add some raisins and you have a winning dessert every time.
Other recipes to try
Rum and Raisin Ice Cream
- 1 cup raisins
- 100 ml dark rum
- 6 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 1 cup full cream milk
- 1/4 cup golden syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Place raisins and rum in a pan and bring to the boil then allow to cool.
- Whisk egg yolks and sugar in a small bowl until pale in colour, set aside.
- Add cream and milk to large saucepan and heat on high until simmering. Remove from heat and slowly add 1 cup of heated milk to the egg yolks, all the while whisking the yolks.
- Slowly pour yolk mixture, golden syrup, and vanilla into a saucepan of milk and continue heating on medium heat until ice cream base thickens. You'll know the base is ready when it coats the back of a spoon.
- Stir in raisins and rum until combined.
- Allow ice cream base to cool in the fridge overnight or for at least 3 hours.
- Add base to ice cream maker and churn. Once complete, add to a container and freeze for an additional 2-3 hours until hardened.