This honey ice cream is perfectly creamy. Honey and caramel combine beautifully, making a unique, sweet dessert. Make this homemade ice cream that kids and adults will love.
If you enjoy honey desserts then also try goat cheese ice cream which has honey as a main ingredient.
How to improve honey ice cream
Check out these ideas to make better ice cream.
- Chill the container before adding the churned ice cream. Room temperature containers slightly melt the ice cream, causing ice crystals.
- Once you add the ice cream to the container, add a layer of glad wrap to reduce ice crystal formation.
- Adjust your freezer to the coldest setting; faster hardening produces the best ice cream.
- Consider adding a liquor, like vodka, towards the end of churning. It reduces the ice cream’s freezing point and acts as a stabiliser.
- To make a denser, creamier ice cream add 2-3 extra egg yolks. Discover why eggs are added to ice cream on this resource page about eggs.
How to make honey ice cream without a machine
If you don’t have an ice cream maker, follow these steps:
- Instead of adding the ice cream base to an ice cream maker, transfer it straight to the freezer in a container.
- When the base starts to harden, remove it from the freezer and whisk until smooth.
- Place the dessert back in the freezer and whisk every 20 minutes until hardened.
- 5 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 1 1/2 cups full cream milk
- 2 cups thickened cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup Nestle Caramel Top’n’Fill
- 1/3 cup honey
- Whisk yolks and sugar until pale.
- Heat milk and cream in medium saucepan on high heat until simmering then remove from heat.
- Slowly pour a cup of the milk into the yolks while whisking as quickly as possible. Then pour yolks back into the saucepan of milk.
- Continue heating mixture on a medium heat until it thickens and coats the back of a spoon then remove from heat.
- Stir in the honey, vanilla, and caramel until combined then add to an airtight container and chill in the fridge for at least three hours.
- Churn in ice cream machine as per manufacturers instructions then add to an airtight container and freeze for about three hours until hardened.