Did you know August 21 is National Spumoni Day? That is, unless you’re from Canada, where it is November 13.
Spumoni doesn’t get the attention that gelato, frozen yoghurt and ice cream enjoy. In this guide you’ll discover everything to know about this frozen dessert, including how to make homemade spumoni.
What is Spumoni?
Spumoni is a decadent Italian ice cream that’s layered with different colours and flavours. It may include extras like nuts or cherries.
Traditional spumoni flavours are pistachio, cherry, chocolate, and sometimes vanilla. To add to the taste factor, cream is often mixed into each layer.
Although this dessert originated from Naples, but ice cream is the main ingredient. Gelato is too soft and doesn’t hold its shape as well.
Unlike other ice creams that are scooped, Spumoni is usually sliced like a cake.
What’s to love about this dessert
- an impressive multi-coloured dessert kids love.
- a fun alternative to birthday cake.
- it contains delicious add-ins like nuts.
Alternatively, you can use store bought ice cream. Either way, once you have the ice cream, follow the below recipe.
- 3 cups chocolate ice cream
- 3 cups pistachio ice cream
- 3 cups vanilla ice cream
- 1 cup Morello cherries
- 1/4 cup almonds, finely chopped
- 1 tsp almond extract
- Remove chocolate ice cream from freezer and allow to soften for 10 minutes.
- Line a loaf pan with cling wrap then add a piece of baking paper with some extra hanging over each side. This will allow you to easily remove the dessert when serving.
- Scoop chocolate ice cream into the pan and pat down to ensure there are no gaps. Smooth the top then freeze for half an hour.
- Remove vanilla ice cream from freezer and allow to soften for 10 minutes.
- Mix the cherries, almonds and essence into the ice cream then scoop onto the chocolate ice cream. Smooth the top then freeze for half an hour.
- Remove the pistachio ice cream from freezer and allow to soften for 10 minutes.
- Spread pistachio ice cream over vanilla ice cream and smooth top.
- Wrap then freeze until hard – around 2 hours.
- Top with pistachios, glazed cherries and melted chocolate.
Spumoni Nutritional Information
|Serving Size||1/2 cup|